James D. Crowther, M.D.
James D. Crowther joined The Bone and Joint Surgery Clinic in 2005. He was born and raised in Oil City, Pennsylvania. Dr. Crowther spent four years on active duty in the military upon completion of his residency at Chapel Hill. He served for the United States Navy and was stationed at the Groton Submarine Base in Connecticut. There he was a Lt. Commander who provided orthopaedic services for both the Navy personnel and the United States Coast Guard Academy, where he was also the team physician for the athletic department. Dr. Crowther spent time in the Middle East during Operation Enduring Freedom, supporting the active duty servicemen in Bahrain.
Here in North Carolina, Dr. Crowther participates in COAN which assists orthopaedists in Nicaragua. He has competed in numerous triathlons and marathons, including the Boston Marathon. He is an avid cyclist, completing the Assault on Mount Mitchell in Western N.C. and yearly rides with a local team in the New Bern MS 150. He enjoys spending time with his family when not working.
He assists the Ravenscroft High School Athletic Department. He is Board Certified in both Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine. His primary interests lie in management of shoulder and knee related injuries, with a focus on arthroscopic techniques. His interests and practice also cover general orthopaedic services, including fracture care, adult reconstruction, joint replacement, arthroscopy and sports medicine.
- Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Oxford Partial Knee Replacement
- Pennsylvania State University
- Pennsylvania State University School of Medicine
Internship & Residency
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, UNC Hospital
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Sports Medicine (through ABOS)
- Diplomat, America Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Member, North Carolina Medical Society
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
At The Bone and Joint Surgery Clinic, we’re proud to provide the highest quality orthopaedic care and diagnostic services to patients from Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Garner, Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina and the surrounding areas. Schedule an appointment today!